01 January 2012

i like food

it would be an understatement to say that, when i was a child, i was a picky eater.
my grandmother could often be overheard whispering,
"give her a cookie. at least she'll be eating something".
i really like cookies!


food back then wasn't quite what it is today.
i knew only of canned vegetables; corn, green beans and carrots.
i only had white starches; potatoes, macaroni and rice.
i experienced just the standard proteins; chicken, pork and beef.
with all respect to my family and their cooking,
i will admit that these dishes were ofter overcooked or bland.
it seems to me that this was just the way of the new england home cook in the seventies and eighties.

as i have gone out on my own, met knew people and visited new places,
my palette has expanded and my bravery for trying new foods has become more bold.
i am still getting over old phobias and experiencing new flavors for the first time to this day.

in 2011, i learned to enjoy grouper, thai & indian curries, brussel sprouts,
vietnamese pho and the once dreaded mushroom!
in 2012, i plan to keep exploring my eating options, but i still won't eat broccoli!



No comments:

Post a Comment